How to get prepared for a proposal?
Proposals to SME Instrument are expected to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the technology and market environment, to select and justify the project objectives
- Present a credible and viable methodology to achieve the project objectives
- Deliver innovations with impact
- Demonstrate the ability and capability to deliver, including work Plan, governance, policies, systems, structures, operational processes and risk management.
Focus on delivering results which contribute to the expected impacts :
- What needs (challenges) will be addressed (relevance with the call topic)?
- What benefits (impact) will be delivered (expected by the call topic)?
- Select project objectives to maximise the impacts expected by the call topic.
Academic Sources: publications, conferences, etc.
- Industry sources: Markets reports, industry partners, company websites & annual reports, industry publications, events, conferences…
- Influencers: policy papers, technical and white papers
- External drivers or constraints: standard bodies, patents and other registered IP
- State of the art: how your project will go beyond it, what new things will be produced?
- Market: What needs will the project address, what benefits are delivered, who is targeted and what is the market structure?
- Competitor intelligence: what will be the key selling points, why will people use your solution rather than your competitors?
- Technologies: why and in which areas will your solution be better than the alternatives by how much?
- Potential barriers / obstacles /enablers: IPRs (freedom to use), statutory requirements, industry standards, health & safety, ethics, privacy, data security, etc.
- Standards: prescriptive, advisory, best practice (barriers or opportunity) www.iso.org; www.cen.eu; www.etsi.org
Patent related strategic intelligence
Gathering information on:
- State of the Art
- Freedom to use
- PotenNal new technology areas
- Key players – now and who is looking for the future!
- Market Intelligence
- Competitor intelligence
- Technology intelligence
- Finding commercialisation partners
From strategic intelligence to action plans
- Gather information to understand the whole landscape (market, technical, IPR, SotA, competitors, etc.
- Analyse information to obtain strategic intelligence… to allow to
- JUSTIFY the project objectives, which will address the call challenges and maximise the expected impacts
- Plan to deliver – deliver strategies and plans to :
- create the project results
- get the results used to maximise impact
NO USE = NO IMPACT!